De-risk and refine your scientific venture
We invite the best teams to further develop their companies and compete for our non-dilutive grand prize while getting their companies into the best possible shape.
Develop is designed to provide support and challenge your ideas while refining your business offering and sharpening your sense of commercialisation.
We help you test your scientific proposition, find your strategic focus, and ensure that your concept truly addresses the most important market aspects.
- Early stage idea supported by preliminary data and/or sound proposal
- Provisional or underdevelopment business plan
- Full-time or part-time founder(s)
- Deep Science ideas that fit within our relevant domains.
Not eligible? Discover more.
- Competing for the £100K-worth non-dilutive prize package.
- 4D mentorship: a consortium of academic and corporate mentors – leading scientific, R&D, industrial, consultancy, intellectual property, law and venture capital organisations.
- Curriculum: Access to alumni, leading executives and sci-entrepreneurs who share their expertise via a series of structured sessions, workshops and networking; throughout our flagship bootcamps.
- Occasional working space at Panacea Innovation Centre
- Support in developing and crystallising a tailored pipeline strategy and potential interaction with the relevant service providers to achieve it.
Find out more about our startup founders
Running over 8 weeks, founders are assessed based on their overall development throughout the phase, interaction with mentors and our team, as well as documents they provide us with along the process.
Online landing workshop providing details about the competition
Bootcamp event at the University of Oxford, or virtually otherwise, with one-to-one mentoring, seminars and workshops on start-up development and networking opportunities.
Pitching practice & business plan submission
Following the bootcamp, and with assistance from their mentors, applicants submit their business plans and receive feedback on their pitch.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to pitch their start-up.
Annual Gala dinner
Shortlisted participants pitch to a panel of high profile judges who decide on the winners of the different prize packages. It is also a great evening to celebrate and network. Subject to the Government's advice on social distancing.
19th Feb 2023, 23:59 GMT
NEXT COHORT INTAKE
Hybrid between virtual/University of Oxford, UK
This is a no-strings attached phase; our prize is non-dilutive and we do not ask for any rights. There is no charge for participation in Develop. We believe that all sci-entrepreneurs should have access to a support network at any stage of development without having to pay for it. However, additional costs may be incurred through participation, for example to cover travel and/or accommodation expenses to/from Oxford. Teams are strongly encouraged to apply for financial support from their home institutions/organisations if necessary.
You can still apply if you have an idea for a business but do not have a team yet. Info sessions will be organised prior to the application deadline to enable you to either recruit other entrepreneurs to broaden your existing team’s skill set or to look for a team to build or join.
No. Develop and Grow are two independent phases. There is no obligation to accept any such offer, and participation in Develop in no way mandates teams to participate in Grow. In depth information on Grow will become available should your team receive an offer to join.
The prize money awarded to the whole team and is meant to develop the business and must be used solely for that purpose.
The winner receives £100 000 in non-dilutive funding; £30 000 in cash and £70 000 in lab/office space and services, which must be used by the winning team to develop their idea to the next stage. The competition aims to assist the development and future success of all aspiring bio-entrepreneurs.
Get in touch! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join us now!
Apply now to be considered for our next shortlisting